Monday 23 February 2009

Something I Never Thought About

It has dawned on me this afternoon...we've never done a 'fire drill'. Not just an ordinary house fire kind of drill, but a bushfire emergency kind of drill.

With plumes of smoke coming from just over a very close hill this afternoon and fire trucks having just whooshed past our house we have enacted our fire plan. I picked up the kids from school and we've come home to pack essential items. Everything is near the front door ... just in case the wind changes and the fire heads this way.

What have I discovered? The girls have no idea what constitutes "essential". It has been rather comical, albeit a little frustrating. Come tomorrow you can be sure I will be working on a 'Kids Bushfire Packing List'. They will each have one and I will not be going through the tears and tantrums that we have had today!

And so we wait. I don't think we'll be going anywhere.....then again who can know. On a completely unessential note, and I hope she won't me my saying this. But if things go a little pear shaped I'll keep my friend Rel from Relz Reviewz up to date.

4 comments:

Rel said...

Well, one of us will keep the other updated depending which way this fire decides to turn!

And no, I don't mind at all :)

Tracy said...

Dh tells me we're equal distance away! Hopefully we'll all be able to stay home and sleep soundly.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

We've never had a fire drill either. Not that we're likely to have bush fires around here, since we don't live in the bush, but we could have a regular old house fire. I need to figure out a plan, don't I?

frances

Just Me said...

As the wife of a firefighter, we have fire drills regularly. It's always a good idea and especially since the kids are used to them in school. It really makes a lot of sense but if I wasn't the wife of a firefighter, I can honestly say I'd never think of it. ;)