Tuesday 10 February 2009

Mmmmmm Muffins


I think I've mentioned that I'm eating very little wheat at the moment...almost none. I have a few deliciously enticing pancakes in the freezer now, made from gluten free flour. Last night I felt compelled to bake a chocolate cake to be used in school lunches. It's only week two and already we have resorted to rice crackers and buttered Cruskits. Poor kids! However, in the midst of my baking I decided I didn't want to be the odd one out with nothing sweet & yummy to nibble on.

The recipe I used for the chocolate cake mentioned omitting the cocoa and replacing it with orange zest. Well....I had a hankering for lemon and had just picked up a nice bag of lemons for $1.50. So I am now enjoying lemon muffins made with gluten free flour. Ahhhh...to enjoy a muffin without the heartburn!!

They're nicely hidden away in the freezer and were made in two sizes. Regular and mini. Perfect for school recess snacks ;) I can now verify that they defrost beautifully by recess time and are lovely and moist. The gluten free flour has a slightly different texture because of the rice flour, but given the choice between something a little different and nothing, I'm going for 'something'.

Simplicity Chocolate Cake

1 cup self raising flour
1 cup sugar
60g melted butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

  1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
  2. Grease and/or line a 20cm ring tin.
  3. Melt the butter and combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix gently with a wooden spoon or spatula until all ingredients are well combined.
  4. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
** Omit the cocoa powder and replace with lemon or orange zest.
** For muffins, pour mixture into greased or lined muffin pans and cook for about 15 minutes or until cooked.

This recipe would be perfect for the beginner cook. Miss Sunshine makes a chocolate cake from a recipe similar to this. She does so well, I'm not usually allowed to go near the making of chocolate cakes. Last night she was in bed and the kitchen was all mine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you post your recipe for the lemon muffins please? Thanks.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Oooh, that cake sounds good. And so do the muffins ... yes, please do give us the recipe!

frances

Linda said...

Wow, that is interesting. I have my Nana's Simplicity Chocolate Cake recipe. I always assumed her recipes where all before metric, but I am not sure about that now. She used a teacup to measure, and her recipe is the same but 3 tablespoons of butter, which she used an old fashioned real tablespoon, not sure how many mls that would be.

I knew it was an adaptable recipe, but that is really interesting, and I'll have to give something like the muffins a go too. She used hers for lamingtons and I think jelly cakes.

I too am all for heartburn free muffins.

Linda said...

I have printed it out, very exciting.

(Make simplicity chocolate cake without using cocoa.)

Lamington Icing

1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon butter
1 cup hot water

Place in saucepan and bring to boil. Thicken with 1 dessertspoon custard power and 1 dessertspoon cocoa. Boil 5 minutes.

Cut cake into squares and dip into icing. Sprinkle with coconut.

Tracy said...

That sounds delicious Linda. A very simple lamington recipe, as opposed to using a sponge cake recipe.

My Mum recommends you freeze the cake for a bit til it becomes a bit firmer too ~ it seems easier to handle like that.

Linda said...

I found these variations in my school fundraiser book that I bought recently.

Cinnamon Cake
1 teaspoon mixed spice and 1 teaspoon cinnamon (instead of cocoa)

Orange Cake
Juice of 1/2 an orange and rind and make up to 1/2 cup of milk (replaces cocoa and milk).

Passionfruit Cake
2 tablespoon of passionfruit and make to 1/2 cup of milk (replaces cocoa and milk).