Sunday 8 February 2009

The Day After the Night Before

Thank you to each one of you who popped by to leave a comment expressing your concern and care for me and my family. We are just fine and quite safe right now. Melbourne has, however, got a new record. The hottest day recorded in ANY Australian Capital city. I could've lived an entire lifetime and not wished to have experienced that one!

However. It is not without a sense of relief and not a small amount of guilt that we are nice and safe in our own home. There are many Victorian communities who have been completely decimated, devastated and consequently displaced by bushfires yesterday and overnight. The closest one to us is perhaps less than 50km away. I had prayed yesterday morning for the Lord's protection over the Dandenong Ranges, where fires ravaged this area in 1983. While we have enjoyed that divine protection others have not been quite so fortunate. And so I am left wondering why we were so blessed when others have not been. Not that I'm complaining!

Having said all that, the risk was gravely high. Had a firebug decided to wreak his evil havoc in my area, we too would have suffered the losses that others have endured. I spent the day peeking out windows. Evaluating the winds. Going out the front to look up the mountain and determine that there were no fires up there. Standing at the top of the back steps to ensure the debris floating through the air was just leaves and not ash or embers. Outside again when darkness began to envelope the sky to the north. The north is where fires would come from on a hot north wind day. After a late night, I forced myself to catch a nap late in the afternoon, but I just still felt edgy.

If you have a moment, please pray for those who have endured the loss of homes, possessions and in many cases, loved ones. There is confirmation of at least 65 deaths and there are areas where police have not yet been able to get to because of ongoing fire and radiant heat. My heart feels so heavy for these families.

5 comments:

belinda said...

Hi Tracy,

Yes, yesterday was so scary.

We had an extra bounce of adrenaline when we were advised on an unconfirmed report that a grassfire that started in Upper Gully, this bit was true, had spread to Treemont just under us.

Luckily the report was unfounded and next door advised us after fronting at the local CFA station to find every thing open and alert but unconcerned as the grassfire had been put out hours ago.

My heart aches for everyone currently in this chaotic mess. I am just going to gather together any essentials that we have and no longer need and start donating to drop points servicing those areas as so many have lost everything.

Kind Regards
Belinda

Tracy said...

That was one of the fires we were keeping our eye on, via the CFA website.

Dh has just left to deliver some supplies to an emergency services base at a campsite kind of local to us. I imagine I'll hear a more pertinent update on the Kinglake fires. Like, how far they think it would travel and in what direction.

Anonymous said...

We have been praying Tracy. I am so thankful you guys are ok, I was really worried. My heart goes out to those who's lives will never be the same again.

God Bless,
love, Tina x

Tracy said...

I'm glad to hear that you are safe. I pray that the fires don't get worse.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Thanks for this report, Tracy. I've been worried about you (and praying for you!) all weekend. Please keep us updated. I'm not overly familiar with Australian geography and I don't know where you are, but it sounds like the fires are in your area. Stay safe! Let us know what's going on.

frances