Tuesday 3 February 2009

Lemon Raspberry Trifle

Oh what a day! I had intended to post this far earlier....but you know how things change. I ended up getting caught by the Head of Primary for 15 minutes and then had a chat with a friend. I got home to get my dishes done and had an SMS from another friend wanting to drop some 2nd hand clothes off for Mr Busy. And that was just this morning!

Since my hours are not yet concrete until meetings with parents have happened I'm just sampling some Year 7 classes this week to give myself an idea of how I can best help the student I will be working with. Lovely kid that I'd spent some time with last year.

So...without further ado, the recipe. Mmmmmm. It is the perfect summer dessert that will completely delight everyone you serve it to. This has also passed the kid test ~ all seven who ate it wanted seconds!

Lemon Raspberry Trifle

Savoiardi Biscuits (sponge finger biscuits)
Orange Juice
600 ml Cream, whipped
Lemon Custard
1 punnet fresh raspberries

Lemon Custard
3/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup castor sugar
3/4 cup cream
3 eggs, lightly beaten

  1. In a heatproof bowl, over a saucepan of boiling water, combine the lemon juice and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
  2. Add the cream and eggs and stir until the mixture thickens to custard consistency ~ it should coat the back of a spoon (make sure the water underneath is boiling, not just simmering).
To assemble:
  1. Spread a small amount of the custard on the bottom of a fairly straight sided large serving bowl.
  2. Dip the sponge finger biscuits into the orange juice and lay over custard in a single layer.
  3. Layer cream, custard, raspberries.
  4. Repeat step 2 and step 3 until all the custard is gone ~ about 2-3 layers, finishing with the custard and raspberries.
I think I juice about 4-5 oranges. Of course you could use a bottle of fresh orange juice, I just happened to have a number of oranges that needed using. I did cheat with the lemon juice and buy a bottle of juice for the custard ~ it was far cheaper and less work.

I cut the raspberries in half ~ they spread through the trifle better.

Here is a picture of the sponge finger (or Savoiardi) biscuits.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Mmmmm... This sounds great. I wonder if we could get the sponge biscuits here...

Tania said...

Wow you have been busy!

Love the sound of this dessert, will have to try it out one day.

Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe.

Tania

Tracy said...

Tracy, you could use a plain sponge cake and just drizzle that with orange juice, if you can't get the biscuits. Either would be fine.