Saturday 25 July 2009

See You At the Fair

Today I enjoyed one of my favourite events in the year. The Craft and Quilt Fair. It is pure Heaven to those who enjoy crafts and more fabric based projects. Although there is a lot of scrapbooking and other paper craft types of things there now too.

Mum, her sister and I met in there. I drove in, the other two trained their way from their corners of life. Dh educated me in the best route to take in terms of simplicity. I made it all the way in and took a different route to the freeway on the way home and we made it with absolutely no hicoughs....YES! I didn't even use the Navigator! I had some time to do my own thing (aka, skipping the stuff you're not interested in!). I also saw one of Mr Busy's teachers and one of the Library Tech's from our school. They were having a ball. We chatted briefly and the continued on our way. I can't wait to hear their favourite things when we get back to school on Monday.

One of my favourite things to just look at was by the Australian Extile Arts & Surface Design Association. The 'Bugs and Botannica' piece was a mass of vines with flowers and leaves ~ all made from felt and other beautiful textured fabrics and materials, and then four different artists had collaborated to create the 'bugs'. It was a stunning piece and, I thought, a marvellous idea of when the Prep-2's to 'Mini Beasts' for General Studies. I'm sure we could do a early childhood/lower primary version!
I bought a DIY kit for a charm bracelet with a little watch on it. The watch works! I also bought a kit to make a bag. It would've been perfect for today, as I had my lunch stuffed into my handbag....next year.....!


The best conversation I had with an exhibitor was a lady who was hand-quilting, using the stab method that I use. I think I need to invest in the stand that the quilting hoop attaches to so that I can quilt more efficiently. I really loved to hear that she just uses plain old masking tape and coloured 'Contact' to guide her stitching designs...such simple, inexpensive things!

2 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Oh, I love craft fairs! We had an amazing quilting exhibit here last year and it inspired me to no end. One of these days I'd love to one of those big yarn festivals, except I know it would bankrupt me!

frances

Tracy said...

LOL. I go into those places and get so overwhelmed by how much stuff there is, and am inclined to come home with very little.