Tuesday 7 July 2009

Child's Play Chocolate Cake


Rel left me a comment yesterday telling me how much her 11yo daughter is enjoying baking Coconut Bread and eagerly looking for further baking excitement and challenge. My own 11yo daughter also bakes this recipe at any moment she can...much to the joy of her father! My 13yo is inclined towards making chocolate cakes. Not the biscuit-eating kind of child, she will always opt for this simple but completely delicious recipe to thrill her own heart...and that of her father (notice a theme going here?!).

Simplicity Chocolate Cake

1 cup self raising flour
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 tablespoons butter (about 60g), melted
  1. Preheat oven to180C/350F.
  2. Grease and line a 20cm ring tin with baking paper.
  3. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and beat for three minutes, using either a hand held whisk or a hand mixer.
  4. Pour into prepared ring tin and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Variation: Omit the cocoa and replace with grated rind of one orange. Juice the orange and replace the milk with the juice ~ top up to 1/2 up with milk if necessary.

You could line a muffin tray with patty pans and make this recipe into muffins. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

I have also made this recipe with gluten free flour with very pleasing results, particularly with the orange variation. They also freeze and thaw very nicely for lunch boxes.

5 comments:

Rel said...

Thanks Trac - I'm sure she will attack this one with gusto, as well ;)

Tracy said...

Sounds like more Daddy's will be enjoying the fruit of a daughter's hands!!!

Every now and then Miss Sunshine takes it out a little bit early and it's nice and fudgy...good with cream for dessert if one is so inclined.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

This recipe looks wonderful--I'll have to get Jack to try it!

I've been reading through all your blog entries that I've missed and want to say that both your stitching and pantry look beautiful! I'm like you--I don't have a set time of month or season to clean out my pantry and closets; I have to wait til the spirit moves me. It finally moved me this past weekend, and I have to say that I must be a simple gal, because nothing pleases me more than opening the door to my pantry and seeing everything nice and orderly!

frances

Tracy said...

You and me both Frances.

Anonymous said...

This seems so simple. I always love a recipe where you don't have to buy anything - everything is in the fridge/ pantry, ready to cook on a whim.