Tuesday 28 July 2009

Lamb with Rosemary and Vegetables

I mentioned this in my post yesterday. Despite the fact that lamb has gotten reasonably expensive, I always seem to manage to find forequarter or chump chops at reasonable prices. Not every single time, but usually one of them will be under or around $10/kg. We're good Aussie folk and we love our lamb and little gathering of guinea pigs decided that this recipe is a keeper.

Lamb with Rosemary and Vegetables

lamb leg chops (enough for your family)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium leek, choppsed
4 baby onions, halved (I omitted this)
2 medium parsnips, chopped
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 medium zucchini, chopped
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
  1. Trip fat from chops. heat oil in pan, add chops, cook until well browned. Add leek, onions, garlic, parsnips and sweet potato and cook until the onions have softened.
  2. Add the tomato paste and cook for a minute or two before adding the red wine and beef stock.
  3. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
  4. Stir in zucchini and rosemary, simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes or until chops are tender.
Obviously, if you have more than 4-5 people to feed, you can increase the quantities without the need for being overly precise. You could also add other root vegetables that your family love to eat. I did steps 1 and 2, then threw everything into the crockpot and added the zucchini and rosemary right then, because I wasn't going to be home in time to do it later. The zucchini was a tad mushy, but it was still really tasty. I also dumped in an entire 2.5 cup carton of beef stock. It made lots and lots of yummy sauce, which we love.

3 comments:

nolene said...

That sounds just lovely and I like the idea of putting it in the crock pot! I have these chops that I didn't feel like cooking but they will be on the menu in the next 2 days. Thank You

Left-Handed Housewife said...

This sounds wonderful. I've never made lamb; I don't know why. My mom made us lamb chops from time to time when I was young, and I recall liking them. Maybe I'll give this recipe a try--thanks for sharing!

frances

p.s. don't you love a crock pot? I need to use mine more!

Tracy said...

I hope you enjoy it Nolene!

Frances we grew up with lamb, more regularly than we eat it now but it's always a favourite.

Yep, my CP is going to be one of my favourite kitchen tools in the upcoming months! It's not gotten huge usage over the years thus far but it will now.