Tuesday 20 October 2009

Falafels

Want to know what my favourite lunch so far this week so far this week is? A chopped falafel on 94% wheat free rye bread with a little bit of sour cream. Mmmmmmm...so good! I mentioned the other day I had made falafels for my lunch and would enjoy them for the rest of the week's lunches. Such a good idea, that was!

Mr Busy studied Egypt last term in General Studies so the recipe comes from his school recipe folder. Have I told you how cute that boy is?! Cute enough to eat, I reckon. Oh wait, we're talking falafels.....before I eat my delicious son I'd better post that recipe.

Falafels

2x 400g tins chickpeas
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
20 stalks flat-leaf parsley
15 stems coriander
20 mint leaves
1/4 cup self raising flour
oil for frying
  1. Peel and roughly chop the onion and garlic.
  2. Drain the chickpeas.
  3. Add ground cumin, ground coriander, chickpeas, parsley, fresh coriander and mint to the food processor and process until the mixture is well blended. You may need to stop the processor regularly to move the mixture about to ensure even blending.
  4. Once you're happy with the consistency of the mixture, add the flour and blend further until the flour is well combined. Again, you may need to stop the machine regularly and move the mixture about.
  5. Form the mix into balls about 4cm wide.
  6. Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add the falafel balls and cook until the bottom turns golden brown. Turn the balls and cook until the second side goes golden.
  7. Remove and serve with a simple salad and a dollop of sour cream or tzatztkiki.
Of course, you know I altered the recipe to suit my tastes. I don't like fresh coriander or mint that much, so I left that out and added just a little extra flat-leaf parsley. I also used gluten free self raising flour. Next time I do this recipe I want to try sautéing the red onion and garlic before it is processed with the other ingredients. Thoroughly cooked onion is always more socially acceptable.

2 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

This sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I don't much like mint, either, except when combined with chocolate!

frances

Tracy said...

Mint and chocolate is a whole other thing to mint in a savoury dish. I'm with you 100% though. Mint chocolate is a bit of a weakness!