Thursday 3 December 2009

Graduation


Graduation Night went beautifully, last night. The kids were truly the stars of the evening, as each presented his or her final Tiny Toastmaster's speech. Some of them forgot to use their photos on the overhead projector. One boy thought he'd misplaced two of his cue cards, only to discover them between the overhead sheets in his plastic pocket...once he got on stage!!!! There were jiggly, giggly boys and nervous nelly girls buzzing about all night. I spent much of the evening on my feet as I waited with each student while they prepared to go on stage....not to mention the requisite shushing and hushing that goes with giggly boys sitting together. I'm not sure when it happened, but boys are certainly the noisier of the two genders in our Year 6 class.

Miss Mischief had the time of her life. Her speech was at the end of the second (of three) group so she had plenty of time to work herself up! She did beautifully. I could even hear her....quite a feat for those who know she's inclined to bare whispers which require the listener to constantly declare "I can't hear you!!!!".

This morning we were a bedraggled bunch of party-weary people. We dragged ourself in to school and spent the day trying hard to stay awake.

Tonight it's our Girl's Brigade Award Night. A far earlier night than last night's 11pm arrival home....with more unpicking and sewing-on of badges to be done by next year. *sigh*

6 comments:

nonni said...

So glad it all went well! :)

Rel said...

Lovely to hear! Way to go, Miss Mischief :)

Tracy said...

Thank you both!

Kez said...

I'm glad to hear it all went well!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Yay, Miss Mischief! Speechmaking is hard--glad she did well!

frances

Tracy said...

Yeah, every time I have to say something in front of a large crowd I get so voice-wobbly that I sound like I'm about to cry. Really, I'm just that nervous that I don't sound right.

I'm better in front of a smaller group or even a class or littler kids. They're not so scary.