Friday 18 December 2009

First Day Bliss

Brighton Beach, with Melbourne CBD in the background.

There is something special about the first day of holidays. Not having to get up with the alarm. Not having to make four school lunches. Not having to bug the kids to get ready. Being able to languish in front of the television for as long as Mum allows. Being able to do all those things that you really want to do but never manage to find time for....like reading, and baking.

I'm planning to bake shortbread and gingerbread to go to one of Dh's sisters with their Christmas gifts. I have a raspberry and lemon curd trifle and a pavlova to make for Sunday's family gathering. I desperately want to get started on my fruit mince pies. It is my one daily indulgence over summer. Finally, we have friends coming for dinner tomorrow night and I'm still at a loss as to what we should eat!

Despite all of those plans my mind is still filled with all the tasks that we never managed to attend to in the classroom over the last couple of days. I suspect I may be one of those who sneaks back. There is a basket of unused worksheets to be refiled in the alphabet files that is calling my name!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the easiness of no routine...blissful! I hope you and yours have a wonderful, happy, restful, fun-filled time! :)