Tuesday 2 June 2009

The Organised Kitchen

Between my own rambling thoughts and watching some 'In My Kitchen Today' type videos online, and decided I needed to get my act together. What better day to do that, than on a day when you've done some grocery shopping! So last night after having done just that the girls and I got to work. We had quite the production line going at by 8.30pm the dishes were done and the oven was turned off...just in time for 'Sea Patrol' to begin. Perfect.

I had Miss Mischief make some pikelets for afternoon tea. I had her use gluten free flour so that I could indulge along with the children. We had them with raspberry jam.

Throughout the afternoon I managed to:
  • Roast tomatoes and garlic for Roasted Tomato Soup.
  • Make Chicken stock for soup.
  • Prepare a pork meatloaf for the freezer, complete with attached instructions for cooking and the bacon pieces required.
  • Cook a roast for dinner last night. The leftovers are in the fridge and I will use them for my lunches this week.
  • Made a chocolate cake.
  • Made a batch of bluten free biscuits.
I had heaps of celery from the half bunch that I bought and only one recipe I planned to use it in. That's what inspired this little cookfest. I hadn't planned on having meatloaf, but with one $5 purchase I was able to use what I already had and use up some of the celery. I also used some in the stock I made, along with the ends from the carrots we had for dinner.

It feels good to know that one meal this week is on its way and I haven't wasted the tomatoes that were on their way to oblivion. It's also nice to know I've gotten a meal organised for one night when I don't make to to the grocery shopping, or when I don't have time...or whatever else might come up.

4 comments:

Rel said...

I don't know whether to be happy for you or depressed for me!! Oh, to be so efficient :)

Hugs!

Tracy said...

LOL. It was definitely a rare moment of madness in the kitchen Rel. That's why it's so noteworthy. Don't ask about all the things that I keep thinking "must do that soon...".

Angela said...

ooh! 'pikelets' - my landlady used to make them when I was a student. Except when she first mentioned thme I did not know what they were. I thought a pikelet was a tiny fish like a pike!!
In the English Midlands they are called pikelets - but in the South where I hail from, we call them crumpets.
Its because the civil war soldiers toasted them over the fire on the end of their pikes

Tracy said...

Crumpets here, are something quite different. They're a yeast dough product and nothing like a pancake or pikelet at all.