Tuesday 2 June 2009

My Quilt Journey Continues

Photobucket

You're probably sick of hearing about my quilt. But! Even though I said I'd finished the top, I still have to put the thing together so it is, in fact, a quilt. Right now it's just a pretty piece of work. Yesterday I popped in to my my local quilt shop to look at the 'Tail Feather's' patterns, which had already been sold (!!!!) and thought I'd look at wideback fabric for the back of my quilt. I came home with a scrap of the fabric above, which I liked the look of but wasn't certain about. As it turns out, it was perfect. So I went back today to buy it....before someone buys it all on me. My favourite wideback was sold out two months ago :(

The owner of the shop had been telling us about some bamboo batting she'd gotten in, so I had a feel. Oooohhhhhhh. I don't know why anyone would use the scratchy poly/cotton blend stuff. The bamboo is silky soft and absolutely lucious. I think I'll just cuddle it for a bit before I start sewing it into the middle of my quilt, never to be felt on its own again.

As I walked out, I realised I'd forgotten to buy the quilting pins I need to hold it together. All the other 'girls' in my sewing group reckon they'll be just fine over a period of time. That'll be Thursday's purchase. I will wash both the quilt top and the backing before I start sewing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I do admire your handiwork Tracy! Are you going to put the finished quilt on your bed or hang it up? It's absolutely beautiful, well done. :)

Tracy said...

It'll go on my bed. I actually don't have any walls to hang it on. Most of our family/living areas are window or taken up with kitchen at once end and TV at the other. In the other living area the biggest wall has a fireplace, so nowhere to hang it in there either. Besides, I want to use it. Is that not what a quilt is for, after all.