Wednesday 5 March 2008

Chickpea and Mango Salad

I decided to splurge a little on the way home, while I was doing my fresh food shopping today. Mangoes are on their way out of season so I won't be able to enjoy this meal for much longer so I spent $1.49 and bought one to make this salad for my lunch. It's very simple, quick to make and absolutely divine to eat!

Chickpea and Mango Salad
serves 2 as a light meal, or 4 as a meal accompaniment

1 tin (400g) chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 mango, peeled & diced
1/2 small red onion, peeled & finely sliced
100g feta cheese (I like Danish best)
a few fresh basil leaves, torn
a little drizzle of olive oil (I use extra virgin)

Combine all the ingredients and mix.
Serve and enjoy.

See, I told you it was simple! I was dubious about this the first time I had it because chickpeas can be a little bit bland and the texture dry, but with the mango and olive oil they really come alive.

I am 'well built'. I'd like to be less well built ~ at least within the healthy BMI. I know now that I need to be very careful about how much bread and other flour products I have in my daily diet, so this salad is the perfect thing for me to eat for lunch while trying to limit having bread. The chickpeas give me both protein and a good source of carbohydrate so that I don't feel the need to eat the chair legs out of desperate hunger in a couple of hours.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! Looks yummy! I can't have much wheat in my diet these days so I really miss bread and toast to fill me up!

This looks really good and so nutritious and filling too!

Love, Tina :)

Tracy said...

I've been having eggs for breakfast. The kids are jealous...and all I want is a piece of toast with real butter and jam...any kind of berry variety would be fine!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. I hope you enjoyed your lunch.

Tracy said...

I enjoyed it two days in a row ;-) It was delicious both days.

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds delicious--think I'll try it since I also need to keep the carbs in check! Thanks for the recipe.