Wednesday 10 July 2013

Kitchen Night Shift






I awoke this morning to a funny smell.  Given our septic adventures I sniffed a little more to determine what it was.  And then I remembered.  While I had been sleeping somewhat peacefully my crockpot was simmering away with carrot, celery, onion and the bones of the two chooks we've had this week and voila!  This morning we had stock, with almost no effort on my part!  Look how beautiful and golden that stock is.  And it tastes as good as it looks.  I have two ice cube trays plus the two containers of stock.  I am ready for a chicken stock hit in sauces and stock for soups.  I keep looking at the liquid stock containers in the supermarket and balking at the ingredients.  This has no yeast, sugar or maltodextrose - a stock I am happy to use.  I knew those Lilydale free rangers would spoil me and indeed I was correct.  They taste soooo good and there is very little liquid from them while roasting.  I usually buy the most affordable chooks I can find and they are full of extra 'water' which also seem to wash out the flavour.  Darn!

My girls and a friend of Miss Sunshine's have reaped the benefits of my holiday cookfest today.  There were pancakes for breakfast and after a couple of hours of study they were so determined for sushi rolls to be their lunch that they took themselves up the street to buy an avocado and some tuna.  So more slow food.  Simple.  So simple.  But again, one of those time consuming things I tend to avoid when life is on full speed. 

And we have decided what meal Mr Busy will learn to cook independently.  Pasta Bolognese.  We'll begin this week and then he will have lots of opportunities to practise. 

I wonder what will come out of my kitchen tomorrow?  Every day seems to bring some unexpected reason to be in there.  For now I need to clean up before we head out to visit a friend in their newly finished home.  I can't wait to see it.  I'm in love with the library, and I haven't even seen it in its finished form.  Just that there is one quickens my heart!


No comments: