Thursday 4 March 2010

Somebody Save Me....PLEASE!


Not me...not at the moment anyway.

But have you ever been in a tough place where you've managed to think for just a moment and that thought went along the lines of "if only somebody could just come and save me from myself and where I'm at"?

I've been there. A few years back, now, but I remember that feeling quite distinctly. And anytime I have someone close to me in that place I feel their heartache as keenly as thought it were my own again.

So what do you do when you care deeply and you feel powerless to do anything that will make a difference? Well, I suppose it depends on the context of your relationship with that person, I suppose. When I was struggling with a very difficult situation the best thing my closest friends could ever do was to invite me to THEIR place for a cuppa. Somewhere away from my situation and an opportunity to chat over something completely unrelated to me was like a breath of fresh air to me. Perhaps it was just knowing that someone cared enough to take a little time out of their day to encourage me, but it helped so much on those tough days.

Encouraging words are sometimes the very thing that will tip the scales in favour of continuing to plod through yucky muck. Tomorrow I'm hoping that my daughter's class will take that on board and find a way to encourage their Home Room teacher before her birthday on Saturday. She is a beautiful young woman with a heart that seeks God in everything....I hope by the end of tomorrow she feels as supported as a teacher can possibly be, and that her place in our school community is not in vain or unappreciated by those who gain the most from her gentle and loving nature.

3 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I do think it's knowing that someone cares enough to give you the gift of time and attention that often gets us through the hard times. I hope your daughter's teacher gets exactly what she needs to feel supported!

frances

Anonymous said...

Truly "no one understands like Jesus," but when I need a shoulder to lean on, heartfelt sympathy and a true understanding of what I am going through is the best help of all.

Tracy said...

Miss Sunshine tells me her teacher was 'off her game' all day, she was so surprised!