Tuesday 11 August 2009

Two for Two


I have a knack. Yesterday I mentioned that I'd made my Year 3 student angry. Not so much because I was being horrible...just that he didn't like what I was asking. I did it again today with my Preppie. He went home happy but it took some doing.

Going well, aren't I?!

I don't think I'm really that mean and nasty. In fact, I am probably a little more inclined to back up and redirect with students than I am with my own children. In fact, on both days we've ended our time together on a positive note. This morning the Yr 3 student was quite happy to tell me that yes, he'd been thinking about his writing and was trying to remember. And yes, he did the right thing in the middle of the word, but he may have forgotten at the start of a word. I simply encouraged him to keep trying and we moved on. You wouldn't have known it was such a big deal yesterday.

Tomorrow...just to prove that I am indeed trustworthy and not asking things that are unmangable I'll be asking my Prep boy to do something very little. To prove to him that when I ask him to do something, that all I want is for him to try...to do his best. And that's it.

I feel like, on both fronts, we are building on the relationship that is already there and requiring a further measure of trust to be grown within that relationship. Both of these boys are a delight and I love them dearly. I hope that, within the challenges, they learn that I am there to walk with them, guiding them through, rather than them feeling they are being pushed beyond their limits.

2 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

You might be making your charges momentarily unhappy now, but I'm sure that a) they love you as much as you love them, and b) one day they'll look back and appreciate how much you've done for them.

frances

Tracy said...

I hope you're right Frances!

By the end of that day I'd made it a perfect 3. Miss Mischief, the sensitive one, asked me a question about her homework, which I misunderstood...and then I didn't check on her when I called out 'who's crying'... and she felt left out ... and you know how that goes ~ never well.