Thursday 7 May 2009

School Photo Day

I don't normally work on Thursday's, but today I made an exception. Missing staff on Photo Day leaves an incomplete picture of the school, in years to come when people are looking back. I went in, in time for the staff photo and then hung around for the whole school shot and the family photo. I had ordered a family photo and the receptionist said "You have to be in it too....". I'd not thought of it really. But in a school where 1/3 of the staff are also current parents it seems to be the thing to do. So I took the opportunity and jumped in with the kids. I'm rather pleased with the results (gotta love high tech photographers that hook straight up to a computer screen!).

Before all that excitement though, I nearly got my first border on my quilt. The four borders are pieced, as of last night. I just need to sew them on. I got part way through one side and the bobbin cotton ran out, darn it. Then I will need to make a firm decision ~ hand quilt or professional quilter. I get both sides....oh of course you'll send it off to get quilted, and, you couldn't possibly send it off to someone else cos then it wouldn't be your work. My control-freak nature tends to agree with the latter. What I am thinking, though, is that I could get a professional quilter to baste the layers together so I could then quilt away at my leisure without worrying about the quilt layers moving. That would be $40-$50 well spent, I think. I'll post a picture once I'm done with the borders.

4 comments:

Joy McD said...

Oh dear, tough decision! You could just pin it and save the money :) I do admire hand quilters like your mum, though.. hey, there is an idea! Send it to her!!!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I agree--it's a hard call. I'd be tempted to send it to a professional, just so you can rest assured that all your hard work will be preserved. And in future generations, no one will remember that Great-Grandma Tracy didn't do the quilting herself. Time will cover your tracks!

frances

Tracy said...

I remember when my daughter was in kindergarten, I went tin to the school to help with picture day. What a hoot! Trying to comb young children's hair so that they'd look good before their picture is taken. I'm glad you decided to go after all the work you've done this year.

Tough decision on the quilt!

Tracy said...

The reason I'm thinking to pay for basting is that over a long period of time, as it may well be to quilt the thing by hand, sewing is less likely to allow for movement as pins would be.

And you would know it hadn't been hand-quilted. Just one glance at the stitching gives it away.