Monday 9 January 2012

Monday Menu Plan: Week Beginning 8 January

A friend asked me the other day if I had been doing in crafting or reading over the holidays.  Sadly my response was "not much crafting".  I've been doing too much Nigella viewing to do much crafting.  Perhaps this week will be the week?  But I have just finished "Lion of Bablyon" by Davis Bunn.  Fantastic read....and now I need to pick something else from my burgeoning 'TBR' pile.  You know...when I'm not reading about teaching Primary science constructively, of course.

I have a menu plan.  For the first time since Christmas.  Dh will be pleased as there is plenty of BBQ'd meat and salad ahead.  Nothing pleases him more....other than cake.  Or biscuits.  Or slices.  Or anything made with vast amounts of sugar.

Monday: Prawn & mango curry, rice
Tuesday:  Pork chops (marinated), salad, potato
Wednesday:  Hamburgers, potato
Thursday:  Chicken wings (marinated), salad, potato
Friday:  Tomato & bacon pasta
Saturday:  Take away
Sunday:  Roast chicken, vegies

I'm not one to buy prepackaged, pre-made food because it's a rare thing that the store-bought item will be better or tastier than homemade.  Crackers for cheese are probably one of the few exceptions.  But this week I bought gnocchi.  I bought it because I don't intend to eat it the way I normally would - as a pasta meal.  I'm going to try out Nigella's idea of using them as quick mini roast potatoes.  I've always been fascinated by the idea - this week I'm living dangerously.  And then I'll probably go back to never buying pre-made gnocci again.  Because I know it'll probably never be as good as the homemade version.

Anyway, see for yourself.  This is what we'll be trying out this week.


I'll let you know what I think.

1 comment:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Your DH sounds a lot like mine! What are slices, though?

Gnocchi as mini-roast potatoes sounds intriguing. Let us know how they turn out!

xofrances