Wednesday 16 April 2008

Celebrating

Picture by Lisa Audit, from art.com

Everyone single person around me yesterday made my birthday very very special. I feel particularly blessed!

My children began the day with giving me simple, but practical gifts ~ a colander, a pair of kitchen scissors and a very pretty pink & white mug. My husband gave me a beautiful bunch of flowers and took me shopping to my favourite Christian bookstore to buy myself a book & a DVD set of the 'Love Comes Softly' series.

On Tuesday's I work in my daughter's classrooms. I spent the entire time in Miss Mischief's class this week. She told her teacher the 'secret'(!) and so the class sang happy birthday. Ten minutes before lunch time Miss Sunshine's teacher brought all of his kids through....singing happy birthday and presented me with a cake with a candle on top! So we all got to have a tiny sliver of cake each (he bought two to go around us all) to celebrate together. The kids were so excited to have been able to surprise me!

In the afternoon I got a couple of phone calls from different family members. Dh's oldest brother & his family joined us for dinner. I made baked salmon with a parmesan & basil breadcrumb crust, hassleback potatoes and steamed vegies...and the chocolate fondant puddings were oooohhhhh sooooooo good! Smooth and silky, rich without being overbearing. A pure indulgence! They bought cheeses for afterwards.

Now despite popular opinion I don't mind cooking on my birthday. Apparently it just 'shouldn't be done'. But I had the dinner I just love the very most and I got to share it with people I love without any extra effort at all.

A perfect day!

11 comments:

Tracie said...

Hello Tracy,

I stumbled across your blog from Down to Earth, Happy Birthday for yesterday, sounds like a very special day indeed. Dinner also sounds lovely I've tried the menu planning thing but I just can't seem to get into the routine of doing it. I'm sure I will get it eventually.

Have a good day.

Tracy said...

A Very happy belated birthday to you!

Where in the world are all of these Tracy's, Tracie's, Tracey's coming from, and WHY weren't our mothers more original?

The Tin House said...

Happy Birthday Tracy. Sounds like a lovely day. After reading your post (and I know it's wrong to crave hasselback potatoes at 7.16am...) I was wondering if you'd found your path on the question of spending time at school. Lisa x

The Tin House said...

p.s. I have 4 Tracy/ie/ey's in my life (and that doesn't include the blogosphere!!!!)

Kez said...

I'm glad you had a lovely b'day!

Mmmm hasselback potatoes!

Tracy said...

Thank you all for your kind well wishes. It just makes for continued celebrating for me ~ a fantastic thing IMHO!

Tracie & Kez, welcome! I'm going to check out your blogs in a tick ;)

LOL, yes hassleback potatoes are very special for some reason aren't they ~ and they seem to go perfectly with fish.

I too have noticed an incredibly number of us who share a name...with all kinds of spelling. When I was in year 5 & 6, we had THREE Tracy/ie/ey's in my class. Two of us were Tracy Ann with birthday on 15 April. She was exactly one year older and had 'e' in all the spots I didn't!

Tracie said...

I bet all the Tracie/ey/y/'s are all the same vintage (I'm 45) as well, when I was in high school there were 5 of us in my form room(with varing spelling). It must have been a teachers nightmare as we would have all have wanted our names spelt correctly. I don't think there were many baby name books around back then.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great birthday. I'm sure all of the other Tracy/ey/ie's can relate to having their names spelt the wrong way alot. I had three at least Tracys in my year from kindergarten to Year 12, it must have been a popular name in the 60's, early 70's.

Tracy said...

And yet, I don't come across them IRL. Only in blogland LOL.

Rachel said...

Happy late birthday!

Dianne said...

Tracy,

It sounds like you had a fantastic birthday! I'm glad that you were blessed to share it with others and that you enjoyed your meal. It sounded scrumptious to me. You are blessed to have such a thoughtful family.

Talking about all the Tracy's with all the variations of spellings. I have a daughter named Tracy, too. It's not that mothers were not original because when I named my daughter Tracy, there were hardly any children named Tracy. But it seems that the name took off and then a 100 people named their children Tracy and now there you all are, Bless your hearts!!!!