Wednesday 27 February 2008

Decluttering & Prettying Up

Kate at Our Red House posted some beautiful pictures of the top of her piano after spending a little time making it look nice. It was beautifully inspiring and her post set me a challenge that had long been putting aside for 'some other time'. The top of my piano was dusty and cluttered and just generally didn't make one feel too good about being there.

This is what the top of my piano looked like this morning. It was a catch-all for music books and photocopies of music, photos and broken things...and a LOT of dust!

This is the top of my piano as of 1/2 hour ago. The only runner I had was a Christmas sort of thing so one day this year I'll endeavour to use my sewing group time to make a more suitable runner for year round.
I feel much better. I know I'm going to enjoy sitting at the piano now that I can see the precious photos on it! FYI, they are pictures of me and my brothers at pre-school age, one of dh's family on our wedding day and my two girls at 7-8 days old.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful piano! What are you playing at the moment? I played piano (poorly) for a while when I was younger but I prefer to listen to someone else!

Love, Tina :)

Tracy said...

Basically, I play in church. So current/modern choruses are always either being learned or being fine tuned. I also play for my BSF class, so I brush up on 3 hymns every week as well.

And then there's the fact that I use music to worship personally...so I just flick through everything that I have and play what takes my fancy. I would usually sit down and play for about 1/2 hour or so most days.

Anonymous said...

The piano looks wonderful. My daughter only has an electric keyboard at the moment and although it sounds great, they are not things of beauty like a shiny piano.

Tracy said...

No, there's nothing quite like a piano. When faced with that choice I would also go with a real piano.

What you can't see in that picture is that mine is old and battered after years of service in our old church's sunday school hall. I inherited when they wanted to return it to the family it came from when it was no longer required.

I have been very blessed to have been the recipient, since no one else in my family plays.