Tuesday 26 February 2008

Chicken Casserole

I wanted to post the recipe for tonight's dinner. I really enjoy a meal that is full of vegetables and is fairly healthy. I've noticed a lot of casserole recipes that I see online often contain tinned cream of something soups and other similar ingredients. The casserole recipe I use is very simple, tasty and as natural as it can be. Of course, you could use chicken stock powder & water instead of real chicken stock (as I will be tonight). I've taken this for extended family gatherings and others have raved about how wonderful my casseroles are. Because I keep them simple.

Chicken Casserole

Chicken pieces ~ enough for your family. I use thighs & drumsticks with the bones in.
1 onion, finely diced
3-4 carrots, peeled & finely diced
peas, or chopped beans
4 rashers of bacon, diced
30g butter
200g mushrooms, cut in half
1 cup chicken stock

Melt butter in a frypan and brown the chicken pieces
Transfer chicken to a large deep casserole dish and add onions, carrots, bacon and stock.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 200C.
Add peas (or beans) and mushrooms and cook for a further 20 minutes at 180C.

I do this in my Scanpan frying pan and just pop the whole pan, covered in the oven. I also am inclined to thicken the stock just before serving, simply because the juices run all over the plate. And our favourite way to have this is served with scalloped potatoes.

2 comments:

The Tin House said...

Tracy, do you find the taste is different if you use boneless thighs? Do you use pieces with the skin on? Sounds scrumptious. Lisa x p.s. nice work on the piano top. I don't have a piano but I do have a desk that looks like a burgler came in and tossed everything about!

Tracy said...

LOL Lisa, I'll have to do a before and after of my desk. The only reason you know there was no burglar is that the computer and camera are still there!

I've never done this casserole with boneless meat, so I can't say. But I think it would be just fine. There is plenty of flavour in it, with the stock and the bacon, so give it a go! I always take the meat off the bones after cooking so it goes further anyway!