500g beef, diced into 1.5cm cubes
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
5 potatoes, peeled & chopped into large chunks
3 carrots, peeled and chopped into thick slices
1/4 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons mixed herbs
a few splashes of red wine (optional)
a splash of worcestershire sauce
2 cups beef stock (or water and stock powder)
- Combine the flour, paprika, mixed herbs and a little salt and pepper to taste, in a plastic bag. Add the beef cubes and shake until the beef is coated.
- Heat a pan with some olive oil; add the beef and brown on all sides.
- Add the onions and garlic to the beef and stir about until the onions are transparent and softened slightly.
- Add in the potatoes and carrots and toss, before adding a little red wine. This will begin to thicken; add the beef stock and worcestershire sauce.
- Put the lid on and place in a preheated oven (180C/350F) and cook for about an hour.
- Serve with rice or pasta.
None of our children are fans of casseroles, as such, but we all enjoyed this one immensely.