Monday 31 January 2011

Monday Menu Planning: Week Beginning 31 January

While it seems much of the world is shivering in the depths of winter cold, we're sweltering.  It's 40C/104F today.  As it was (thereabouts) yesterday.  It's hot.  And school started today.  Isn't it always the way, that the temperature goes up and school returns.  There are a couple of new air conditioners in our school this summer and I was in a position to enjoy two of them.  Oh what a wonderful invention they are!

So I hear you asking what we're eating in this awful heat.  Well...even if you're not, it is the topic of today's post so I'll tell you anyway.  tonight I'm not cooking in the traditional sense.  I have leftover lasagna reheating in the microwave for tonight.  We'll be having salads instead of cooked vegies and the combination of weather and the return of school in earnest means quick meals that don't require energy I don't have.  As I said to Miss Sunshine, she and her sister can cook when I'm too busy to care.  I'm not there yet!

So for dinner at our place, you will find:
Monday:  Leftover lasagna, salad
Tuesday:  Ricotta fritters, salad
Wednesday: Roast chicken, vegies
Thursday:  Tomato & Bacon spaghetti
Friday:  Sloppy Joe's
Saturday:  Teriyaki chicken, rice, stir fried vegies
Sunday:  Homemade pizza

Obviously I've also had to think about lunches today.  Ham and salad sandwiches with a lunch box sized freezer brick for the kids, and a salad for me.  Miss Sunshine declared a box of fruit salad might be nice for recess tomorrow.  Personally, I enjoyed a blood plum and a container of homemade sweet and salty popcorn.  I'll have to post about that.  I think I've perfected the one thing that has prevented me from doing so until now. 

1 comment:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Don't you hate turning on the oven when it's that hot outside? Hurray for salads and the microwave!

xofrances