Friday 21 January 2011

Recipe Review: Anglo-Asian Lamb Salad

photo from nigella.com

Over our holiday I decided to bravely try and new salad.  Nigella's (of course!) Anglo-Asian Lamb Salad from Nigella Express.  It is one of those salads that truly is almost a whole meal.  I say almost, because it if were up to me I'd not need much else.  But husbands and children don't seem to agree.  I served this with bbq'd potato cubes to satisfy the need for something that 'sticks'.  In a perfect world I'd probably team this with a nice substantial chewy bread, like a ciabata.  It would be perfect to soak up the yummy juices.

As I was preparing the dressing, the children decided it 'stank'.  Fish sauce will do that.  And there was a fair amount of fish sauce!  However, the smell and the taste seem to have little to do with one another.  The other thing that stunned me was how the meat behaved when left to languish there in it's dressing bath, once it had been cooked.  I had Dh BBQ lamb rump (it's the closest the butcher had) so it was just a tiny bit pink, still.  After just five minutes in the dressing there was no tinge of pink left.  The acid from the vinegar had truly completed the cooking and left the meat lovely and tender.

This ended up being an absolutely delicious meal.  One that truly suits days when it's too warm to cook.  Having the meat on the BBQ took all the cooking heat outside, and the dressing took mere moments to put together.  So it also suits days when you don't have much time to get a really delicious, healthy meal on the table as well.
For the recipe, you can go here, at Nigella's website.  Now let me see if I can overcome my internet naiveté and post the You Tube clip!

2 comments:

Joolz said...

Yuuuuuuuuummmm! Thanks for that, a Sunday outside lunch winner! Actually very appropriate for Aussie Day!

Cheers - Joolz

Tracy said...

I think so too, Joolzmac!