Sunday 22 February 2015

Fast-Friendly Bounty


In my last post I mentioned that our annual church-wide fast has begun.  This year we are going well beyond the usual 21 days, and going the full 40 days of Lent.  I'm so glad we dipped our toes into fasting with a mere three week effort!  Because we know what to do now, we're using the framework of the Daniel Fast again.  So far I have not had any "I need a cup of teeeaaaaa" (imagine whining here) or "I just want a CRACKER!" (my children were afraid...gritted teeth, clenched fists) moments, as I did last year.  Although crackers do look very enticing.  And hot cross buns.  Did you know how good those otherwise harmless little buns smell in their plastic bags on the supermarket shelf, when you're walking past, and you can't eat them?  Let me tell you - really dang good!

This afternoon as we were returning from picking Mr Busy up from a meeting at church we stopped off at a strawberry farm that was boasting "5kg for $10".  Dh was unable to resist and a box came home with us.  Mr Busy and Miss Sunshine dove in right there in the car.  After all the hype about getting Hepatitis A from frozen berries you'd think they would pause for a moment and ask if it was OK.  But no.  Apparently our dirt is familiar dirt and they are happy to eat it.  So we have strawberries for eating and freezing and making into smoothies.  Most of them will be frozen because the rain and heat have made a lot of them a little spongy.  I can't wait to try Shauna Niequist's "Blueberry Crisp" recipe...with strawberries instead.  It will be our post-fast first dessert, I think.  I love that Shauna's recipe calls for maple syrup as the sweetener in the "crisp", rather than sugar so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Meanwhile, a plate of vegies for dinner: potato, sweet potato, corn, carrots, green beans, cauliflower and broccoli.  Just....Yum (really, truly!).

No comments: