Thursday 2 March 2017

Lenten Restraint and Quiet Stillness

Image Credit
Having taught my class about Lent and Ash Wednesday and Shrove Tuesday and the way we remember the season leading up to Easter I thought perhaps I should enter into the solemnity that is Lent.

I briefly considered doing a fast again.  Briefly...let's say, a nanosecond.  Doing a serious fast seems to work best for me when I am surrounded by others sharing that journey.  So for this period of Lent I decided to reduce my intake of sugary food to one dessert/cake a week.  No other sugar, and no bread or crackers or likewise for snacks.  Especially when I get home from work and dinner isn't quite on the table, and I could eat the very people in front of me, I'm so hungry.  These are the two things I think I need to push aside for awhile.  And while I'm pushing those aside I'm aiming for pulling in more stillness with God.  Perhaps my Bible on top of my computer will be a good start...

1 comment:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I'm trying to give up noise for Lent. I'm the sort of person who can't stand a quiet house, so I always have the radio going, or music. I'm not giving up the radio or music entirely, but when I remember, I turn it off for as long as I can stand it!

xofrances