Saturday 1 June 2013

So much in Such a Short Time aka A Mother's Job is Never Done

So much has happened in the last couple of weeks.  I've finished my teaching rounds for the year.  I had such a ball.  The kids were gorgeous, the teacher I worked with was wonderful to learn from, the school was amazing.  And now I have to go back to reality.....which means not teaching.  Just helping.  Always an adjustment.


It would be a terribly boring list of things to recount all that has been accomplished and dealt with.  Suffice it to say some of it has been pretty difficult and Satan has again reminded me of the fact that I am doing what I need to do in the most challenging of ways.  You know, 'cause it wasn't already a challenge to organise transport and afternoon routines for the kids who have been without supervision after school for four weeks.  You know things are slipping when you think rum and raisin chocolate is a necessity at the end of the day.  Every.  Single.  Day.

Then I read posts from Frances and Jen Hatmaker about the end of the school year.  And I laughed and laughed about all the things mothers just can't do at the end of the year.  Oh my goodness you gals are singing my song and I'm not even half way through the school year here!  My son is getting jam sandwiches (because that's all  he'll eat right now) and has to do his own baking so he doesn't have to eat crackers for morning tea.  The kids all have to put their own notices on the hook on the notice board so I have some hope of knowing what is going on.  Seriously.  How are we going to make it to the end of the year?  I do not know.  I need a day off.  Roll on next Friday!

3 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Isn't that post amazing? I've read it three times now, and have laughed outloud each time! Seeing how many people have reposted it, linked to it, tagged it on Facebook, etc., has made me so happy--I think almost everyone feels this way, not just us.

I can't believe your school year ends at Christmas! How do you get anything done?

I was thinking yesterday that it seems like a long time since you started your teaching adventures. I'm so glad you love it!

xofrances

Tracy said...

I plan ahead and I leave a lot until school is out. We finish earlier than state schools so I have some time then. But really...we start to twitch and go a little crazy!

Joolz said...

I think giving the kids the responsibility of posting notices on hooks and baking for lunch boxes is a great idea. It gives them a feel for the things you have to do and keep and eye on. You certainly sound busy! I half miss my school mum days where I'd pack lunches and bake treats.

All too soon they are gone and now both my girls live in Adelaide, one working in a job she loves after her Uni degree and the other in her 2nd year of Nursing (currently wiping bums and administering suppositories in her first placement at a nursing home). They're coming home for the long weekend so I am off to do some baking - more homemade bread rolls, cookies and some soup.

Cheers - Joolz