Tuesday 16 May 2017

Thinking outside the box...


Have you ever had a problem, that called for some creative problem-solving?  I found myself in this exact position this week.

For the last eight, or so, years I've been wrangling two bags back and forth from school every day.  One for my laptop and folders and papers, and one for my lunch, charging cables, handbag, and all the things that didn't fit in my laptop bag.  This weekend I decided there must surely be a more efficient way to cart my stuff back and forth so Miss Mischief and I set off to find the perfect teacher bag.  Because it seems that teachers have some pretty specific needs when it comes to a bag.


I lifted this bag down from a shelf, thinking that it looked like a pretty good size and shape, and it had plenty of pockets around the outside.  Guess what little surprise I discovered?  This perfect bag is actually a nappy bag.  Yes, you read that right!  A nappy bag.  It has a ton of pockets inside as well and, as it turns out, fits absolutely everything except my lunch bag.

I love, love, love this bag with it's floral lining, waterproof exterior and the ton of pockets both inside and out.

It didn't phase me one little bit, buying a nappy bag, because I just needed a bag that suited my work needs.  The older shop assistant seemed to think it odd to consider a nappy bag as a work bag.  The younger shop assistant said "oh yes, I use that exact bag for work too".

When I told my class about my shopping adventure they thought it was hilarious that my bag is a nappy bag.  Except now it's not.  I'll give the change mat to a colleague and then it's just a bag, with a pretty lining.

Got an 'outside the box' problem-solving story?  I'd love to hear it!

5 comments:

Lydia C. Lee said...

If you've got it, use it! I say...

Natalie @ Be Kind 2 You said...

A nappy bag is the most practical in so many ways. I still have one (and my youngest is 10) because it is greart for travelling on planes when you need a lot of stuff.

Six Little Hearts said...

It makes complete sense to me. I will never be parting with any of my nappy bags for this same reason.

Kylie Purtell said...

Perfect solution! When I bought my last nappy bag I specifically bought one that could double as a handbag. Nappy bags really are perfect for use beyond the baby stage for all the reasons you mentioned.
#teamIBOT

Vanessa said...

I'm childless by plan and love nappy bags! I commute a long way, so I take breakfast and lunch and snacks with me and last year I was studying too. Normal bags aren't up to the strain, but at least nappy bags are built for weight!