Tuesday 30 May 2017

So the girls moved out for a bit


The snowflake above has nothing to do with this post.  Only that it's forecast to be wintry and cold this week down here in Melbourne, and I like this photo!

Meanwhile, one of my dearest friends and her two adult children are winging their way to England right now, to visit with family and enjoy an English summer.  Well..that's a bit of a misnomer, isn't it?  Day time temperatures of 23C isn't really summer, to my mind.  Pleasant, but not the heat we get.  So my girls are off on their second house-sitting experience.  I joke, often, about anticipating their fully fledged flight into adulthood that will come with moving out of home.  One day.  They love the opportunity to have a go at moving out and being all adult-ish.  Of course, Miss Mischief will be back for a bit on Wednesday, so I can help her download Microsoft Office on her new Mac.  They're never totally gone for long!

As much as I love the girls being independent and all on their own, I've realised something just slightly distressing.  My in-house chef and dishwashing helpers have gone with them!  On Sunday I asked Mr Busy what he'd look to eat and cook, and guess what?  It's just you and me in the kitchen for the next few weeks.  His whole body slumped, and I slumped along with him.  It's one thing to housesit on the school holidays, but during the term?  Not so great.  I'm battling thoughts of "but no one is home...why bother cooking?"  How silly.  More of us are here than not, and yet just two being out feels positively vacant around here.

When I got home from work yesterday the house was utterly dark.  Warm....but blacked out.  Mr Busy was holed up in his room, as he typically is, but no one had turned on the lights!  At least he put the heater on!  At 6.00pm, just after I got home, we were rummaging about in the freezer searching for something quick and containing some version of helpful nutrition.

Not only is cooking and the dishes an issue, but also, who will take Mr Busy to church on Friday night?  I'm not even home before he needs to be there.  Girls to the rescue, I think.  Just as well they haven't gone too far away!

One perk:  a regular meal will do us two nights.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My daughter recently left home to move to the UK, and while I still have 4 more kids at home, I cannot believe just how much I miss her. Enjoy the quiet. xx

Lydia C. Lee said...

We feel a hole in our home with the eldest at work or the girlfriends all the time...it's sad and strange...

Natalie @ Be Kind 2 You said...

Oh I could feel the emotions here. I have 4 kids and all pretty young so will be a while until I come home to a dark house but I am not looking forward to that day. #teamIBOT

Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit said...

My daughter is talking about flying the coup soon to make her dreams come true. I love watching dreams come true .... but ... what the hell will we do without her? Heart breaking stuff. I've got my big girl pants on the bedside table ready to pull on when the time arrives.