Saturday 23 November 2013

Mocha Muffins


If you've been reading here for a little while you will know I find nothing more inspiring for getting me into the kitchen than a little bit of Nigella viewing on TV.  The ABC have been airing her 'Nigellissima' series again, which is on when we normally watch the news.  I am making use of technology and watching episodes at my leisure using my iView app.

The kids have been complaining that they have snacked too heavily over the weekend - a charge led by their father.  In any case by Tuesday everything I had bought had been consumed with the ferocity of a swarm of locusts.  So after some Nigella viewing I went and made some mocha muffins.  When we were in Costco the other day I found some Kirkland Signature semi-sweet chocolate chips and I just wanted to use some.  I also managed to get 2kg of unsalted butter for just $2 - it was close to use-by!  My recipe is a trusted, tested one from Steph's Country Kitchen Goodness.

And on that note I've been noticing some changes in my baking powder.  My closest friends know I have baking powder issues.  Any time someone heads to the US and asks me if I want anything my immediate response is Rumford's Baking Powder.  Last time my friend Rel was the one travelling and she brought me back some Clabber Girl Baking Powder.  Either way they're both double acting - something that seems to have escaped the baking powder manufacturers in this fair land and it just works soooooo much better!  Ever since our trip to the US I have pined for baking powder that actually works.  Last week I had to buy some more baking powder for 'general use' (the American stuff is saved for special things - I make it go as far as I can!) and the branding had changed on the container.  I used it in these muffins and it seemed to me that perhaps we now have double acting baking powder ourselves.  I think I'll need to do some more experimenting.

1 comment:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I'd be very happy to send you some baking powder for Christmas! Do you think it's okay to send it through the mail?

xofrances