Saturday 19 February 2011

Of Five Year Old's.

By now you will have gathered that my days at school are rather full-on.  Kids with special needs require all the energy you have.  It's just the way of things.  In the midst of all that hard work there a few little cuties that seem to be just there to make you smile.  In every class I work in there is at least one child who will give me a hug every single day.  Well....one of them belongs to me.  Two of them are very distantly related to me.  But I'm not quibbling over things like that!

And then there are the Prep's.  Those youngest little gems in our school.  The ones to whom the Principal goes to visit when he's having a bad day.  He's a wise man.  Those kids are hilarious in the most innocent of ways.  I have one little boy who waggles his eyebrows at me a number of times in every lesson I'm there.  Then he starts winking.  And then I have to walk away because there's something a little bit unusual about a 5yo winking at you!  But my golly he makes me smile.  He saves his eyebrows and winks for me.  His teacher never sees it.

Yesterday I was in the library on Z-Duty.  Z was happily playing and one of the Prep girls was there trying to draw a picture.  She needed help drawing hands.  So I had Mr Busy go and help her.  Then she came back and needed help drawing a necklace.  I had Miss Sunshine go and help her.  She showed me her picture at the end of lunch time, replete with signatures from all her able helpers.  She was impressed that my kids are so-o-o-o-o big.  And so am I.

2 comments:

Joolz said...

I miss my kids being in primary school. A large secondary college just doesn't have the same feel. Kids stare at you like you have two heads!
There will be days of frustration but I'm sure more rewarding ones to outweigh them.

Cheers - Joolz

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I love that kid wriggling his eyebrows at you and winking! What a charmer!

xofrances